Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tick Tock Taylor from Hazel Mitchell

In your bookstores soon will be the first chapter book in a series of four featuring mini cheerleaders!
Written by Anastasia Suen and published by Kane and Miller each book in the All-Star Cheerleaders series will follow one member of the Glitter squad as they practice, compete, make new friends, learn new moves and most of all ... have fun! 

I know I had a lot of fun creating Tick Tock!


Being from England originally I don't have a lot of experience with cheerleading, so it was interesting to research and find out more. I can totally see why girls are in to it. I also had to learn about the moves and the holds for the black and white images in the book.

 I started out with some rough character sketches ...


Then I inked by hand with a dipping ink pen because it gives a lively line. You have to be quick though or you get blots.
 I added the grayscale shading in photoshop.

Here are a few more of the interior illustrations:


So if you have a young cheerleader or wannabe in your life watch out for Tick Tock Taylor coming soon! Looking forward to illustrating the next book n the series!


Thanks for visiting Pixel Shavings.
See more of my work online at hazelmitchell.com
or join my page on Facebook at 

Call back next week to join the fun here on Pixel Shavings with Russ Cox.
Toodles!
Hazel

7 comments:

  1. Love the drawings, Hazel! I can't wait to see the finished book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anastasia ... I can't wait either! - Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great drawings, Hazel! Looks like a fun story, too. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Hazel! Gimme an "H", gimme an "A".....well you get it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheri, Debbie ... thanks :-) Yes Anastasia really draws you into the world of mini cheerleaders! - Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the sketches and how you show your process. I think each Pixel Shaver should get an autograph copy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure! If everyone would like one :-)

    ReplyDelete